Thursday, December 25, 2014

Rambling Thoughts - Preliminary Tax Pro Finder profile





Military Service
I joined H&R Block in December 2010 after 8 1/2 years as a Marine Corps Reservist.*  In the spring of 2009, I met my wife Veronica, an Orange County native, shortly before my third combat tour to Iraq.

How I ended up in The OC
I wasn't planning on working for Block when I took the tax course.  I had been doing my own taxes for years using Turbo Tax but I never felt completely confident I was doing them right.  I had some situations that were a little more complicated than an average return, like investment income and real estate, so I took the course and it turns out I was right.  Nothing major but I've since applied that wisdom of relying on an expert, someone who does something everyday, instead of trying to do everything myself.

From combat to tax prep?
When my tax course instructor mentioned there was an office near Camp Pendleton that would be hiring, I thought why not do it for a year, I miss my Marines and this would put me in the position to make sure they were being taken care of.  It turns out that wasn't necessary.  Everyone here in the office is very supportive of the military but I got the tax bug.  I enjoy the challenge of it, the constant learning, and most of all I enjoy being in a position where I can use my skills to help protect people again.
Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
I love this country but I am not happy with all of the ways our money is being spent.  I feel one of the best ways to make a difference is to starve the beast.

Why I work for H&R Block

People have asked me, isn't it a little weird going from combat to preparing taxes?  And I say, if you've ever been shot at or blown up, it gets old real quick!

Why you should choose me






* Now, before you Active Duty guys start laughing at a "hobby Marine," I completed three tours to Iraq

No comments:

Post a Comment